Friday, November 11, 2005

Corps of Discovery

200 Years ago today - Lewis and Clark reached the Pacific Ocean after spending a very stormy night trapped on a dangerously narrow beach of the Columbia River - so narrow that some men were sleeping in canoes. But in the morning the Ocean was sighted - what a wonderful feeling that must have been - to finally reach the journeys destination after so many months of uncertainty. I just can't imagine what an adventure they had - the things the saw and learned. An incredibly valuable resource of natural history before the settlement of the west.

Luckily I am not spending the next few months camped in a wet rain forest on the Oregon Coast - but I am working away on my Corps of Discovery hat - sitting in front of my warm fire! Pictures tomorrow after a visit to my LYS so I have more to tell.
ttfn

No comments: